200 North 3rd Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
- 717-236-3010 ext. 121
- 717-234-1925 (fax)
Ben brings considerable experience to his practice, concentrating in business and employment law for companies ranging in size from startups to major national corporations. He works with for-profit and nonprofit businesses as well as public utilities such as railroads. Ben’s approach with his business clients is to think through the best course to achieve his client’s goals, within the law. When a dispute does arise, his efforts are centered on resolving the matter in the most effective manner possible in the client’s interest.
Business & Employment Law
Ben has handled matters involving employment, termination, and non-compete/non-disclosure agreements as well as litigation arising from such agreements. He has handled employment discrimination claims before the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Ben has helped businesses with LLC formation and operating agreement drafting. Ben has drafted independent contractor agreements and assisted in formulating compliance guidelines for businesses including HR issues. He has assisted businesses with contract reviews of all types, especially software and technology contracts. Ben has also done work involving intellectual property rights, including trademark applications and renewals, as well as, copyright consultation.
Rail & Transportation Law
Ben’s railroad clients consist of Class I and short line railroads facing public crossing and other matters before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. These cases frequently involve large amounts of money with the opportunity for significant cost savings by the railroad. Such cases often entail related contractual and property matters that are litigated in state and federal courts, including private crossing disputes. Ben also handles general corporate and employment matters for the firm’s short line clients.
Other Practice Areas
- West Virginia University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1980
- The Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1992; Woolsack Honor Society
- Pennsylvania, 1992
- United States District Court for the Middle, Eastern, and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Dauphin County and Pennsylvania Bar Associations
- MANTEC Board Member
- Capital Region Economic Development Corp., Chair
Ben has received an AV Preeminent® Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating in his primary practice areas of administrative and employment/labor law and litigation, making him part of a select group of lawyers ranked by their peers at the highest level of professional excellence.
Ben has also been published in numerous periodicals including the following:
- Employers Beware: Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rules That Voluntary Retirees May Receive Unemployment Compensation, Central Pennsylvania Business Journal
- Misclassifying Employees as Independent Contractors is a Gamble Employers Cannot Afford, Pennsylvania Business Central
- Who Knew? The U.S. Military Takes the Lead in Extending Benefits to Same-Sex, Central Voice
- What You Don’t Know Could Cost You $18 Million, Business2Business Magazine.
- New Health Insurance Regulations Add to Employers’ Responsibility, Central Pennsylvania Business Journal.
- Do’s and Don’ts for Employers Confronted With Employee Mental Health Issues, Central Pennsylvania Business Journal
- Pennsylvania’s New Overtime Rules – Whether A Boost or Bane – Likely Depends on Which Side of the Employment Relationship You Reside, Central Pennsylvania Business Journal
- Copyrights, Trademarks and Trade Secrets – Intellectual Property Law Basics for Businesses, The Pennsylvania Lawyer